Sunday 19 July 2009

Broad Bean Bonanza!

I have been wrong! It turns out I do like broad beans after all. (Grandma would be so proud). After seeking out the broad bean recipes from What to Eat Now, I ended up using all the beans to make hummous! I have included the links for the dishes from the show, because they did look delicious.
Broad beans stewed with beef

I wanted to make hummous, but my husband used all the chickpeas in a bizarre frying/creating chickpea popcorn incident and I didn't restock for fear he'd do it again! So, I turned to the broad bean. It was a revelation. The broad bean tastes as deliciously green as it looks and the texture made perfect hummous. This recipe is a bit of guess work, because I didn't measure anything.

Broad Bean Hummous
2 cups, shelled broad beans (fava beans)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp sesame oil (ideally you should use tahini paste, but I didn't have any)
6 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt

Blanch the beans in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain and allow to cool.

Remove the skins from the beans and put in a food processor with the garlic, sesame oil, lemon juice, cumin and salt.

Blitz. Trickle in the olive oil to form a smooth paste consistency.

Taste and season if necessary.

I suggest serving with warmed pitta (I'm a fan of Sainsbury's Free From Pitta), or tortilla chips as a pre-dinner snack, or as part of a mezze-style main meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment