Wednesday 16 March 2011

Best Thing Since...

As I threw another half-used package of freefrom bread in the bin - mouldy, after only a few days, I decided, enough was enough.  It was time to bite the bullet and try to bake my own gluten free bread.  I have tried before, and the results were usually dry, flat and heavy.  The most convincing packet mixes I used had a chemically smell to them, while the home-made efforts were only good for breadcrumbs.

I was buoyed by this post by Shauna on The Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef and promptly purchased flaxseed meal to try it out.  After a clean out of my baking cupboard revealed me to be out of most flours, yeast and baking powder, I paid a visit to the supermarket and stocked up (except, thanks to my currently sieve-like memory, I forgot yeast...)  So, I started off by making some muffins and cornbread (no yeast required) and incorporated the ground flaxseed in the recipes. Much success and celebration ensued.  After my delivery from Goodness Direct arrived, I was ready to have a shot at bread.

Really quite pleased with this!
Brown Rice, Quinoa and Buckwheat Loaf
(Inspired by a recipe by Shauna Ahern)
I'd advise you to read the blog post I've linked above, but the gist of it is that gluten free dough will start out far looser than gluten bread dough, but as it proves it thickens and become drier.  Once you accept that, you can relax into the process.  But, please, don't take my word for it - if you haven't already - read Gluten-Free Girl's blog.  This recipe is my adaptation of Shauna's.

25g Flaxseed meal
50ml boiling water
200g Brown rice flour
100g Quinoa flour
38g Buckwheat flour
65g Tapioca flour
47g Corn flour
300ml milk, at room temperature
5g salt
7g quick yeast
1tbsp honey
2 medium eggs
25ml cider vinegar
  • Pour the boiling water over the flaxseeds and stir until the mixture thickens (it will become the consistency of porridge.) Set aside to cool
  • Put all the flours, salt and yeast in a bowl.
  • Mix together 150ml of milk and honey and pour over the dry ingredients.  Beat (electric beaters are ideal) until it is all combined.
  • Whisk eggs into the vinegar and add to the mix, continue to beat until combined.
  • Add the flaxseed mixture and combine.  
  • Now gradually add the rest of the milk until you have a very soft dough (something you would be unable to handle)
  • Transfer dough to an oiled bowl, cover with cling film, leave in a warm place for 2 hours, to rise.
  • After the dough has risen, transfer it to a 1lb loaf tin and bake for 10 minutes at 230 degrees Celsius, then turn the temperature down to 180 C for the remaining 25 minutes.  
  • You know it's done when you can knock on the bottom of the loaf and it sounds hollow.
  • Tip out on to a cooling rack and leave to cool before slicing. Well, maybe just one slice while it's still hot!

3 comments:

  1. it looks lush! the home made loaves usually look so dense but yours doesnt at all! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have any more bread recipies sans yeast, I'd love to see a recipe. I found a few on some of the other sites you linked to. I really want a recpie for something like that lovely looking cornmeal type bun you found at the free-from festival. I managed to talk my parents into getting me a bread-maker for Christmas, since it's even harder to find yeast-free in the shops, than it is to find gluten-free! Now I need recipies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruth,
    Yeast free breads are few and far between - it's the best way to raise the dough! I think your best option for yeast free bread would be soda bread (uses bicarbonate of soda to rise) or unleavened flat breads. (Glebe farm make a bread mix with instructions for soda bread on the packet).

    ReplyDelete