Thursday 1 September 2011

Not Barbecue Sauce

The Husband is a connoisseur of barbecue sauce, in fact he has his favourite Sonny's sauce imported from the USA because nothing here in the UK compares.  I have attempted my own versions on a number of occasions and the verdict is always, "I like it, but it's not barbecue sauce."  Recently, I have been honing my recipe and tonight, I was sure I had cracked it.  We reached the end of the meal, and then...

This is not barbecue sauce.

I might retire from the attempt to create the perfect barbecue sauce, especially since I am yet to create something that can even be classified such.

Hot and Smokey Sauce


1/2 an onion, finely chopped
1cm ginger root, peeled and grated
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsps english mustard powder
2 tbsp honey
50ml worcester sauce (check it's gluten free)
100ml tomato ketchup (check it's gluten free, Sainsbury's recently changed their recipe.)
50ml water

  • In a little oil, gently fry the onions, ginger and garlic until soft.
  • Add the smoked paprika and fry for a further minute.
  • Add the mustard powder, honey, worcester sauce, tomato ketchup, and water, stir well to combine.  Bring to the boil.
  • Simmer for about 5 minutes, then serve.
I served this sauce with chicken, and a potato and sweet potato mash.  It might not be barbecue sauce, but it's definitely worth a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment