Wednesday 2 November 2011

Leek and Potato Pie

My inner domestic goddess keeps butter in the freezer so that I can make flaky pastry a la Delia in a moments' notice.  Sadly, this domestic goddess has no inclination to wash the dishes after making said pastry...

This month, the Gluten Free Ratio Rally is hosted by Lisa over at Gluten Free Canteen and we are making pie crust.  Head over to Lisa's page to see what wonderful pies, galettes, and pasties the gang have come up with.  The ratio of pie crust is 3:2:1.  That's - 3 parts flour, 2 parts fat, 1 part water.

 My choice of pie was dictated largely by the plethora of leeks in my kitchen.  There seems to be a never ending supply coming from the weekly veg box!  (I'm not complaining, I love a leek.)  This is a great way to use up those ends of cheese you always find after having a cheese-board, and although I use Stilton here it's really dealer's choice.

Leek and Potato Pie


200g Brown rice flour
100g White rice flour
1/2tsp salt
200g butter, frozen.
100ml cold water
3-4 medium leeks, washed and sliced
2 baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
150g Stilton cheese, crumbled into small pieces
1 egg, beaten

  • Saute the leeks in a little oil until soft, but not coloured.  Set aside to cool.
  • Parboil the potatoes for 5 minutes in salted.  Drain and set aside to cool.
  • Weigh the flours into a bowl and mix in the salt.
  • Coarsely grate the butter into flours and gently mix together.  I use a knife for this, but if you have cold hands you can use those!
  • Add the water, a little at a time, mixing gently until it all comes together into a pliable dough.  You might not use all the water.  Cover with clingfilm and pop in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
  • Heat your oven to 190 degrees C.
  • Rescue your dough from the fridge and split it into 1/3 and 2/3.  Starting with the 2/3 piece, roll it out on a floured surface to about 3mm thickness.  Line your pie dish with this.
  • Spread half of your cooled leeks over the base, then arrange half of your potato slices on top of them.  Sprinkle over half the cheese.  Then repeat with the remaining leeks, potatoes and cheese.
  • Roll the final 1/3 of pastry on a floured surface, large enough to top your pie.  Place this over the top of your pie and seal the edges.  
  • Trim the edges and brush with beaten egg.

  • Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown all over.
  • Serve hot or cold.









9 comments:

  1. Holy cow, your pie looks amazing!

    I'm sure that double crust tastes as good as it looks. Glad to see some savory entries for this rally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I'm loving all the savory additions this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That crust is amazing!!! And great flavor combinations in the pie. Oh. Yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I love flaky pastry, there's no need to work the butter into the flour - you need the bits of butter to make the texture. I've loved this theme - I've had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. can i come over for dinner? this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a pie from a Disney cartoon. Absolutely perfect in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pie is so beautiful! So tall... I love a 'mile high pie'!! And kale is my favorite leafy vegetable. I am making this for our dinner tonight!!
    Blessings,
    ~Mrs. R

    ReplyDelete
  8. DOH! Or should that read DOUGH! I meant I love leeks... this was made with leeks... another of my favorite veggies... sigh. I guess I just have green things on the brain this morning... leek & potato pie... leek and potato pie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That pie looks good!
    I have been trying glutenfree pastry but a disaster so fa. Your picture convinced me to try again...

    ReplyDelete