Monday 12 December 2011

Free From & Festive! - Day 1


Mince pies, Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, stuffing, gingerbread, trifle, even those little sausages wrapped in bacon -  Christmas is a minefield of gluten.  Canapes are mostly bread and pastry based, and don't get me started on all those desserts!  So how do you survive the festive season unscathed?  

Way back at the beginning of November, when the Christmas trees went up at work, I reminisced about my first Christmas as a Coeliac.  I had been living gluten free for 8 months so it wasn't new to me, but Christmas gluten free was a different story.  My mum was an absolute star, buying up all the gluten free treats she could find and cooking gluten free and gluten-full items separately, on top of juggling all the usual elements of Christmas dinner.  It was hard work (for mum, I was next to useless) and it wasn't necessary to cook all those different elements for me.  As time has gone on, we have learned from our mistakes, I've actually cooked Christmas dinner - not just got in the way, and we've picked up a few hints and tips along the way.

I don't claim to be the authority on gluten free cooking and baking, and two heads are better than one, right?.  So how about 12 heads?!  

I have gathered together a bunch of fantastic gluten free bloggers to share their winning recipes with you over the next 12 days.  Want a tried and tested mince pie recipe?  Need a vegetarian main course?  Never baked (gluten free, or otherwise) before?  We're here for you.  We even have suggestions for your leftovers.  

Today, we're making mince pies.  Saara, from The Gluten Free Student Cookbook has made some scrummy sounding mince pies with crumble topping, you must go at have a look!

Dietary Specials have very kindly shared their recipe for Starry Mince Pies, too.
Dietary Specials Starry Mince Pies

Come back tomorrow for some cheeky chutney recipes.

2 comments:

  1. I've never made an effort to eat gluten free since I don't seem to have that problem. These mince pies look delicious though!

    ReplyDelete