Friday 6 January 2012

Gluten Free[k]'s Famous Five

Have you noticed that there is a new badge on my sidebar?  

FreeFrom Blogs is (as you might have guessed) a directory of great blogs written for, and by, people with food allergies, intolerances, and Coeliac Disease.  Whether you are dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, fish, free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegan, or vegetarian, you will find the right blog for your diet!  The 4 founders, Lucy, Amy, Amy, and Gemma launched the site this month - if you haven't done so - check it out now!


When Lucy, Amy, Amy, and Gemma suggested I write a post about my top 5 gluten free products, I thought it was a great idea.  There are some fantastic products out there that really make life as a Coeliac a little bit easier.  I haven't include any bread products, mainly because I think Genius and Warburtons have cornered the market as far as GF bread is concerned.  Also worth a mention are DS Ciabatta Rolls and Breadsticks.  


Here are my favourites (in no particular order).
  1. Dietary Specials shortcrust pastry.  I do make my own pastry, but this a great thing to have in the freezer for those days when life is just too short to be rubbing shortening into flour.  This is a reliable, versatile pastry that I have passed off as my own on more than one occasion...
  2. Young's Free From Fish Fingers. As a child, the only way I would eat fish was as a finger. My tastes may have broadened somewhat now but nothing beats the good old fish finger - I love them with chips, all covered in mayonnaise, or in a butty with Genius bread and loads of ketchup!  
  3. ASDA Free From All Butter Honey and Oat Cookies.  I have mentioned these on my Facebook page because they are a favourite.  Crumbly, chewy, sweet and perfect with a cup of tea.
  4. Nairns Gluten Free Oatcakes.  A definite store cupboard staple.  Not just for cheese either, they are good with sweet toppings like jam and make a great grab and run snack.  The oats in these oatcakes are farmed by coeliacs, so I am completely at ease about eating these.  
  5. Genius Gluten Free Cheese and Onion Slice.  Deliciously flaky pastry filled with tasty cheese, potato and onion, these slices are available at Asda.  I used to love Greggs cheese and onions pasties in my pre-coeliac life, and these gluten free delights are far better than I remember the Greggs version ever being.
Of course, there are many more brilliant gluten free products available.  I would love to hear from you about your favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment