Sunday 5 February 2012

Under the Knife


By the time you read this I might already be in surgery, or will be recovering in hospital. That's right, on Monday afternoon I go under the knife to remove my large intestine and to form an ileostomy!  Once upon a time, (three weeks ago!) when I got the call to offer me this surgical appointment, this day felt a long way away. Now, as I type this post after I have packed my hospital bag, stocked up on reading material and ensured the Husband has enough food for a week, it feels like time has rushed by.


This surgery marks the end of a very long road of pain, sickness, fatigue and heartache. As anyone with chronic disease will tell you, sometimes you grow sick and tired of being sick and tired! I'm looking forward to the future with renewed energy and positivity. (Just as soon as the scars heal!)


Some of the people I have spoken to about this assume that this operation as a bad thing, they expect me to be downbeat about it. This is not the case. I am glad it's happening, this is a very good thing.

Let's just explode some misunderstandings before we go any further. 
  1. This is not reversible, I have had a permanent colostomy for the past 3 years - this surgery will completely remove my large intestine - there is no going back.
  2. No, this won't cure my Crohn's Disease. Crohn's affects the entire digestive system and although my colon is the most damaged area it could present elsewhere, however this surgery is my best chance for remission.
  3. Neither will it cure my Coeliac Disease. I will always require a gluten free diet. The part of intestine most affected by Coeliac Disease is the duodenam, the first section of intestine as it leaves the stomach (which will be unaffected, unless something goes very wrong!).


This post is my chance to thank everyone for their support. My Husband and family, as always, have been there for me, as have my friends. Thanks, too, to my Twitter friends, who have been enormously supportive, despite many of them having health issues of their own to contend with. And, of course to all of you who have sent such uplifting messages through this blog. I don't have the words to express just how much strength you have given me.


Here's to good health in the future!




4 comments:

  1. I hope everything goes well with your surgery - will miss your blog posts while you are away! Charly x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I just found your blog... I'm glad you get an opportunity to feel better! Hope your surgery has gone well. I'm another coeliac and found your blog hmm.. on some listing of coeliac blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better after the surgery - and bio oil is a miracle for surgery scars! Everytime my scar itched or hurt I put it on and it was amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip, Sarah! My scar is at that itchy stage now!

    ReplyDelete